Below are details on the upcoming BC Grandmothers to Grandmothers Conference this coming March, which we are invited to attend. It is organized by the Greater Van Gogos of Vancouver.
The organizing committee for the Vancouver Grandmothers Conference is looking for people to co-facilitate workshops or do presentations on the topics to be addressed in the gathering (program below). If anyone is interested in participating in the conference in this way please contact either Elsie Widdowson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kate Clark (email@example.com), coordinators for Vancouver Island, who will send a coordinated reply to the Vancouver group.
This conference will be on the agenda of our next Oceanside Grandmothers meeting on January 19.
posted on behalf of Joyce Eilers, our regional contact for Oceanside Grandmothers. posted by Eileen Dombrowski.
MESSAGE FROM THE GREATER VAN GOGOS
Hello, BC Grandmothers —
Greetings from the Greater Van Gogos region! It is our pleasure to invite you to join us at the first ever BC provincial grandmothers group gathering on Friday, March 11 and Saturday, March 12, 2016, in recognition of the 10th anniversary of the Grandmothers Campaign. This event is called Reflection & Renewal – 10 years – Grandmothers to Grandmothers (or R&R, for short) to highlight this milestone. Friday evening will feature Stephen Lewis and Ilana Landsberg-Lewis speaking together! This is the first of a series of talks which Stephen will be giving to grandmothers groups across the country during 2016.
Reflection & Renewal is the first BC provincial grandmothers gathering, hosted by the Greater Van Gogos region, in recognition of the 10th anniversary of the Grandmothers Campaign.
John Oliver Secondary School in Vancouver, 530 East 41st Avenue at Fraser Street, with easy transit access and street parking available. (Travel and transit information will be coming closer to the event.)
Friday evening, March 11, from 5:30 to 9:00 p.m.
- Reception with light refreshments
- Craft marketplace with all groups invited to participate (be prepared to begin around 3:30 p.m.)
- Stephen Lewis and Ilana Landsberg-Lewis speak at 7 p.m.
- Tickets will be for sale to grandmothers group members, as well as to family and friends of those members but it is not a public event.
Saturday, March 12, a full day conference from 8:30 to 3:00
- For members of Grandmothers Campaign groups only
- African grandmothers as keynote speakers
- Morning refreshments and catered lunch included
- Time to meet and share with others.
Participants will choose from 2 of the following workshops for Saturday afternoon.
- Marketing tips and ideas for craft sales
- Know the Campaign — an interactive workshop on Grandmothers Campaign messaging
- Fundraising share – both large and small events
- Craft sharing
- Attracting positive media attention
- Uganda Grandmothers Gathering presentation
- The new Impact Assessment process of the SLF
- Using Facebook to increase your group’s social media presence
- How to sustain your group
- Grandmothers Lounge
To be confirmed in January. We expect that the cost for this full event will be between $50 – $60, with separate prices for Friday or Saturday only.
Full registration information and forms will be posted in the “Just for Us” section of our website (http://greatervangogos.org ) in January. (We will email again to let you know when this happens and what the password is.)
- Registration will begin in January and will close on February 22, 2016.
- Complete the registration form along with others in your group, please.
- Individuals will need to pre-register for workshops.
- Mail the completed form and a cheque to Greater Van Gogos to our registrar noted on the form.
A reminder for group leaders:
- Please notify Arlene Racicot firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible if your group wants to participate in the craft marketplace on Friday evening
- Please send digital photos of your group in action, including your group name, to Hannah Diamond at email@example.com for display at the event.
ACCOMMODATIONS for OUT OF TOWN GUESTS AND TRAVEL:
- Please see information about accommodations at the end of this email.
- Stay tuned for more information! A small travel subsidy will be available for out of town guests. A committee is working to devise an equitable way to share.
We have all learned so much in the 10 years of the Grandmothers Campaign – we hope you can join us on March 11 and 12 to share and reflect on the first 10 years of the Grandmothers Campaign. Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us — Judy at firstname.lastname@example.org or Diane at email@example.com. We would love to hear from you and look forward to meeting you at R&R. Enjoy this holiday season and we will be back in touch with more information in January —
Judy Johnson and Diane Walker, Greater Van Gogos co-chairs
Vancouver’s West End:
Best Western Sands Hotel. $99 (conference rate)
1755 Davie St.
For conference rate please book under Greater Van Gogos before February 1, 2016
Walking distance to restaurants and shops.
20 – 25 min. drive to John Oliver School.
Hotel prices quoted are approximate and may vary with time.
Near the airport:
Vancouver Airport Inn Hotel, Super 8 $67
725 Southeast Marine Dr. at Fraser
10 minute drive to John Oliver and bus line available
Not far from John Oliver:
Best Western Plus Uptown Hotel $95
205 Kingsway, near Main Street
Request the corporate rate and note that you are in Vancouver on business
10 minute drive to JO and bus line available
Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre $129
711 W. Broadway
Walking distance to restaurants
15 minute drive to JO
Contact Janine firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to billet.