Oceanside Grandmothers to Grandmothers is a volunteer group of local grandmothers and grandothers — our husbands, partners, family members and friends — who are helping to turn the tide against poverty, illiteracy and poor health in subSaharan Africa. Working together, G2G members contribute their time and talents, energy and experience to raise funds in support of the Grandmothers Campaign of the Stephen Lewis Foundation (SFL). The SLF directly supports grandmothers in Africa and the children in their care who have been orphaned by HIV AIDS (over 35 million) and, more recently, by COVID 19. G2G members raise funds in our communities to support the life-enhancing programs run by grandmothers in Africa and the community-based organizations who support them.
Did you know that….?
- Our G2G local group has raised more than $500,000 since it began more than 15 years ago. The funds raised go directly to African grassroots projects through the SFL.
- The annual Christmas Extravaganza is our biggest event and raises about $25,000 per year with every item created by local grandmothers and grandothers.
- As an inclusive, diverse, positive group, we welcome your creativity and engagement doing as much as you can when you can and where you can.
- There are about 100 active G2G members in Oceanside and you can be one of them!
- Oceanside G2G is hosting all the Vancouver Island G2G groups this May. We would love for you to join us to learn more about G2G and about the Stephen Lewis Foundation.
Oceanside Grandmothers, Our Local Group
Oceanside Grandmothers are active in Oceanside on the east coast of Vancouver Island, BC, Canada, centring our activities in Parksville and Qualicum. We gather in the afternoon on the second Tuesday of the month in Parksville.
Our broad range of activities is generated by our members — with imagination, creativity, teamwork, cheerful social interaction, organizational skill, and a keen sense of our purpose to give support to grandmothers in Africa. To see a sample of our past activities, go within this website to Past Events. To follow new activities as they arise, go to Upcoming Events.
For further information on the Grandmothers Campaign, of which our Oceanside group is a part, see within this website Grandmothers Campaign SLF.
To get engaged and support events in our Oceanside community, we welcome you to contact us and join our group.