Hello BC Grandmothers Groups
Just about a week to go until Reflection & Renewal, when honoured African guests, SLF staff, group members from the Greater Van Gogos region and those of you from around BC will join for an amazing time together, in recognition of the 10th anniversary of the Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign. Registration has exceeded expectations and we can’t wait to see you all. The attached R&R Information Package has all the updated information about these events, including the names of our African guests!
This Regional Update has important information for you and your group members, including reminders, timing overview for both events and some parking suggestions. Please share this information with your group members as soon as possible.
* To bring plenty of cash and cheques for the Friday evening craft market — with about 15 groups from around BC participating in the market and the GVG engraved pens and custom tea blends available again, you won’t want to miss it. Some groups, but not all, will be able to accept credit card payments.
* To bring a mug for your hot beverage and a water bottle, if you want to use your own, on Saturday.
* Please plan to come EARLY. With 500 people coming for the Friday evening reception and talk, and almost 300 registered for Saturday, it will be busy! On Friday there will be the craft market and complimentary refreshments to enjoy before Stephen and Ilana’s talk. On Saturday morning, there will be hot drinks, muffins and fruit to start our busy day together off right. Information on timing for both days and detailed parking information is included below.
FRIDAY EVENING — SOME DETAILS
The entrance to John Oliver Secondary School (530 East 41st Avenue, just west of Fraser Street, in Vancouver) that we will use is on the east side of the school, near Fraser Street, through the entrance doors marked “Auditorium”. Please note parking information below. Timing for the evening:
* 5:00 — Doors open for registration and the craft market in the cafeteria begins. Early birds may choose seats in the auditorium in advance, and mark them with a sticky note.
* 5:30 — 6:45 — Reception in the cafeteria with complimentary light refreshments, as the craft market continues.
* 7:00 – 8:30 — Evening program in the auditorium, with Stephen and Ilana as our speakers.
* 8:30 – 9:00 — Craft market open for last minute shopping!
SATURDAY CONFERENCE — SOME DETAILS
Entrance will again be through the Auditorium entrance doors on the east side of the school, as noted above. Timing for the day:
* 8:00 — Doors open for registration and light refreshments in the cafeteria.
* 8:30 — Auditorium doors open.
* 8:45 — Music session begins in the auditorium to energize us for the day — don’t miss it!
* 9:00 – 11:30 — Conference plenary sessions in the auditorium
* 11:45 – 12:30 — Lunch break in the cafeteria
* 12:45 – 2:45 — Workshops in classrooms. Workshop attendance is pre-assigned, and will be indicated on your conference name tag. Every effort was made to fill individual workshop requests but some workshops filled very quickly. Not all requests could be accommodated. We encourage attendees to share their workshop experiences with their group members at upcoming meetings.
* 3:00 — Short closing session in the cafeteria, with door prize draw. This will be the perfect opportunity for us to briefly reflect on our day together and look ahead to the next 10 years of the Grandmothers Campaign.
PARKING AND TRANSIT DETAILS
John Oliver Secondary School, located on the south side of 41st Avenue, just west of Fraser Street, is easy to get to and there is lots of parking available. However, with 500 people coming on Friday evening and about 300 on Saturday, parking will be “at a premium”. If at all possible, please do try to carpool and definitely come early. For those of us driving into Vancouver, we need to remember that rush hour traffic on Friday may mean that our journey will take a bit longer than we think. Those of you coming by car may want to turn your radios to AM730, All Traffic All the Time for the latest updates about traffic in Vancouver.
Here is a list of parking options in the area.
1. 80 spaces in the staff parking lot — Located to the west of the school, these spaces are available after 5 p.m on Friday and all day Saturday. Lot entrances are accessible from St. George Street to the west of the school, and also from 41st when heading east.
2. South side of 41st — Directly in front of the school parking is available (aside from bus stops) from 5 p.m. on school days and all day Saturday. A small area immediately in front of the Auditorium entrance doors is only available as of 6 p.m. on school days.
3. North side of 41st — Parking directly across 41st from the school is unrestricted at all times, aside from two bus zones. There is a light at Fraser and a demand light at St. George Street, just west of the school, where people can cross safely.
4. St. George Street — Parking is available on the side street just west of the school, on the school side of the street after 5 p.m. on Friday, and unrestricted on most of the residential side of the street at all times.
5. 43rd Avenue — Located to the south of the school, parking on both sides of the street between St. George and Fraser Street is unrestricted at all times.
For those interested in taking transit, bus lines with frequent service run along both 41st and Fraser streets, with bus stops very near the school. Plan your trip at http://tripplanning.translink.ca/. If you have questions, please contact Diane at firstname.lastname@example.org.