Below is the current newsletter from the regional Grandmothers to Grandmothers representatives Elsie Widdowson and Paxie Vreede. It covers g2g events for Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
Hi All – hard to believe that another month has passed – time sure flies.
1. Stride Update
· Official walk date is June 13/14 but groups may chose to walk on June 6/7 or June 20/21.
· The fund raising page is live
· Pledge information has been carried forward from previous year
· SLF page has been updated with the information on the virtual walk
· Groups having a walk should ensure that they register with the foundation to ensure insurance coverage. Groups should ensure that they meet the insurance requirements for their city/town.
2. GRL Meeting in Toronto
· This year’s meeting will be April 8/9/10
· Regional Liaisons are covering their own travel costs as there are not sufficient Aeroplan miles available.
3. Visit of Stephen Lewis Foundation’s Field Representative Ida Mukaka
· Ida will be in Canada from April 14 to May 17th.
· She will be at the Island Gathering on May 9th
4. Aeroplan Miles
· 2 Million miles were collected during the 2 day match programme. Aeroplan will match 500,000 of the 2 Million.
5. 10th Anniversary Ideas
· Planning for the 10th Anniversary of the Grandmothers Campaign is ongoing.
· Stephen Lewis will do a small number of talks across the country – probably in September of 2016. He will be accompanied by a number of African Grandmothers
6. Barbara Coloroso
· There will be 4 events in B.C. Including two island events hosted by the Glacier Grannies and the Nangos
· Tickets for the event in Nanaimo on April 11th are available through the Port Theatre web site at: http://www.porttheatre.com/index.php/events/apr-2015/nango-grannies-present-barbara-coloroso/
· Title for the talk is: The Bully, the Bullied and the not so innocent Bystander: From Preschool to High School and Beyond: Breaking the Cycle of Violence and Creating Safe and More Deeply Caring Communities.
7. Island Gathering
Scheduled for May 9th in Nanaimo – details to following in a separate e-mail.
8. The Oceanside Grannies are presenting Ordinary People: Extraordinary Lives: ‘Travelling with My Paintbrush’ on Monday March 30th at 2:00 p.m. at Knox United Church in Parksville. Julia Cairns; Artist and Children’s Book Illustrator will share her story. Tickets are $15.00 and are available from Dog Music in Parksville and Arbutus Fashion and Lifestyle in Quallicum Beach or by contacting: Pam Vest at 250 954-1885. She is able to debit and credit card payments.
9. St. Andrew’s Spring Tea
The St. Andrew’s Grandmother in Sidney will be holding a spring tea and fashion show on May 2nd. The show will include women’s, men’s and children’s fashions. Further details to follow.
Elsie and Paxie, regional representatives for the Islands. (sent via Joyce Eilers, posted by Eileen Dombrowski)